Thursday, April 2, 2009

Random Thought Thursday

The other day I was reading through a book of questions and came across an interesting one. If you could invite anyone in the world to dinner, who would it be? Now I'm going on the assumption that this is a real person, not fictional and is currently living. This got me to thinking....this would have to be someone interesting, personable, but not someone I'd want around forever. I say this because the next question was about who you'd want for a friend.

So back to my dinner guest.... I'm thinking a restaurant or a catered event. I mean really, who wants to spend the whole meal with this super-interesting person, being in the kitchen sweaty and food-splattered? Hopefully, it would be a relaxed and casual affair. I'm not into the whole getting gussied up for eating. I like the idea of a relaxed, intimate place - quiet and with few interuptions. Unlimited time to really get to know this person.

So now that I've got the place, I need the who. Hmmm.....could be an actor. A politician? World leader? Religious leader? So many people to choose from and just one choice. Wait! This is my dinner. I can have as many people as I want. Or better yet, more than one dinner..... Oh, that's even better. I could have one person at a time but have lots of dinners. A girl's gotta eat, after all.

Now barring the fact I wouldn't choke or dribble food down my chin because I'm so nervous, I think a few obvious choices would be the president, the former president (and especially, his wife), the Dalai Lama, TD Jakes, the Pope, etc. I think any of the obvious pop stars, whether musicians or actors can be covered that way, too. We all have our likes and dislikes and personal icons that would be covered in the pop culture person. Naming a few: Eric Clapton, Sting, Madonna (surprisingly), Meryl Streep, Hugh Laurie , Stephen Frye and dozens more. That list could go on forever.

But I'll say in really thinking about this question, I've come up with another scenerio: I would love to visit a regular person from another country, in their home and spend the evening just conversing with them and their family. Language would be no problem, neither would travel or customs. Just two people talking and learning about each other and their individual, small worlds. Making a connection with another soul, crossing the lines of culture, color, religion, all of it.

So, in the choice of famous or real, I would enjoy both (obviously) but I think the dinners with real, regular, everyday people would effect my life a whole lot more. And eventually, if more people joined in, the world.

How's that for random...
KDH Catt

No comments: