Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day

Being single, I don't think about Valentine's day very much...if at all. It's all a commercial creation and I don't buy into it. Not saying that if I had significant other he wouldn't have to dish out a little Hallmark lovin'. I may be single, but I'm not stupid. But I digress. A fellow singleton said something that I totally agreed with about Valentine's Day and really everyday. When it comes to love, we should put God and ourselves first; the rest will follow. How simple a truth is that? Most of them are.

Having been in and out of relationships, solid and not so solid, it's funny to watch people on this holiday and compare them to my own actions and reactions.
The newly in love, having their first Valentine's together. These days it makes me sort of nauseous but I remember feeling that way, too. Waiting to see if he bought me roses and if they were the right color. What would the card say? Would there be chocolates? Dinner? What other surprises were in store? The happiness of buying a card that said 'just' the right thing about my sweetie. Getting him something that I knew wasn't macho but I just couldn't resist, i.e. the pink stuffed teddy bear that said 'I Love You'.

The been-in-love-for-awhile crowd are immensely more entertaining and sort of scary at my age. They forget to get anything. They remember at the last minute and get something from Walgreen's on the way home. They try something elaborate and it's especially funny if it involves lingerie and whipped-topping. Although, there are moments of true romance still out there. The husband that makes breakfast in bed for his wife. The spouse that makes sure there's flowers waiting at home at the end of the day. Going out to dinner, which includes getting dressed up and no drive-thru. A note left, saying very simply, "I love You more today."

So if I had to wish for anything today, I guess I'd agree with my friend: a stronger love of God and myself, first. Chocolate...lots of chocolate. Friends to spend good and bad times with. Quiet days on the beach and sunsets that last forever. Wine (or a beer) always chillin' in the fridge. Family that always prays together. A cat that can snuggle without putting his butt in my face. But chocolate, there must always be chocolate. At least if no one wants to get hurt.

Hears wishing you a pain free Valentine's Day and everything you could wish for,
KDHCatt

No comments: