Friday, July 4, 2008

Goodness, I love a holiday.

Just in case you missed the sarcasm in the title, it's July the 4th. I work at a 911 center. At the beach. In a county that doesn't allow personal fireworks.

It's been an interesting transition going from a small rural county to a busier vacation place with multiple jurisdictions. It's definitely a learning process and even with 3yrs experience, I'm constantly questioning things and learning new things.

For instance the fireworks thing. Three localities in our county do not allow any type of fireworks; no firecrackers, no sparklers, nothing. One is the northern most town, the next is in the middle of the county and the last is the most southern area of the county. There are multiple towns in between each one and they will allow fireworks that are not self-propelled or explode, i.e. bottle rockets. See the problem? It's not a simple answer of "No fireworks." It's a, "Well, where are you lighting the fireworks?" And I wonder: what if you light it and then toss it over the line, does it count?

The best part of the whole issue is: local business sell all kinds of fireworks in the county. Now don't you think it would make just a little sense to stop the sale of something that's illegal to use. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I could be wrong.

I wish you a happy and very safe 4th of July. Hopefully, you'll never have to call me at my job.

No comments: